Sunday, May 29, 2011

Straws for Sale

Straws for sale!
Straws for sale!
Three red, white, and blue striped straws for sale!
(inspired by Shel Silverstein's Sister for Sale poem)

The other day Adria had three straws in her hand and she told me she wanted to sell them. She was very serious and persistent about wanting to sell the straws to our neighbors. After she and I talked a bit we decided she could give them to two of our neighbors. The neighbors weren't home so she placed them on their doorsteps for them to discover later. :) I thought that I should call the neighbors a little later to explain the straws but before I did that I looked out the window and saw Marc picking up the straws from their porches. Adria was making her way outside when I noticed this but luckily she did not see Marc collecting the straws. Then she came in the house and told me she wanted to sell newspapers to our neighbors. Somehow I was able to move the conversation to a different topic so she didn't end up selling any newspapers. I think the next time she wants to do this we'll call the neighbors first and ask them to play along with her selling straws or newspapers or whatever it may be.

How did she come up with this idea? Well, I've talked to her about when I was a girl and I had a paper route and Marc's talked to her about when he was a kid and wanted to make some money so he sold wrapping paper and stationary to his neighbors. :) Who knew it would turn into her wanting to sell straws and newspapers to the neighbors.

No comments: